Group Leader and Senior Scientist
Simone has a degree in Nutrition Sciences and Home Economics from the Niederrhein University of Applied Sciences, Mönchengladbach. She acts as Projects and Communications Officer.
Constantin joined the Huber Group in July 2019 as PhD student and his work focuses on statistical method development for biological data. He received his Master degree in Molecular Biotechnology from the Heidelberg University. During his Master thesis, he worked on the development of statistical tests for label-free mass spectrometry data.
Alina has a BSc degree in Molecular Biotechnology from the University of Heidelberg. She wrote her Bachelor thesis at the Max-Planck-Institute (MPI) for Medical Research and is currently enrolled in the Molecular Biotechnology Masters program. After a research internship at the University of Queensland and an internship in the non-academic sector, Alina joined the Huber Group in January 2020. She is working on the integrative analysis of drug testing data in order to understand the mechanisms of drug response.
Ainara Claveras Cabezudo
Ainara has a degree in Molecular Biotechnology from the University of Heidelberg. She wrote her bachelor thesis at the German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ), where she would later work as a part-time-student performing computational analysis of telomere features. She is currently enrolled in the Molecular Biotechnology Master’s program at the University of Heidelberg and joined the Huber group as a trainee in January 2020. She is working on gene expression data in order to understand the genetic interactions within the wnt signaling pathway.
After completing his pharmacy studies at University College Cork and the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Donnacha joined the Huber group in October 2019 for a joint PhD with the Dietrich group at the National Centre for Tumour Diseases in Heidelberg. His current research focuses on using single-cell multi-omics to understand intra-tumour heterogeneity of drug response in blood cancers.
Holly graduated from the University of Cambridge with a degree in Natural Sciences. For her thesis, she investigated the within-host diversity of influenza infections using statistical methods. In 2016, she undertook an internship at the Francis Crick Institute, London, during which she investigated potential new methods of influenza surveillance and vaccine research.
Laleh Haghverdi received her PhD in Mathematics from the Technical University of Munich. She has a background in physics and has been working on single cell gene expression data analysis over the few past years. Her current research is on batch correction and integration of single cell data.
Alex received his PhD in theoretical particle physics from the University of Heidelberg and the Max Planck Institute for Nuclear Physics before he joined the Huber group as postdoc fellow in February 2020. As a member of the DECODE project, his current research focuses on single-cell analyses and the development of statistical methods for biological data.
Katharina received her PhD in Immunology from Heidelberg University for her work on human antibody repertoires in Malaria infection. In June 2018 she joined a collaborative research project between the Huber group at EMBL and the Boutros group at the German Cancer Research Center. Her current research focuses on mapping and understanding genetic interactions in the context of disease.
Vlad is a PhD student with a background in computational physics. He obtained his MSc degree from the University of Heidelberg with his graduate research focusing on population genomics of drug response in leukemia. At the moment he is continuing his work on genome-wide association study of CLL drug sensitivity. Additionally, Vlad is working on image analysis of 3D cell culture data.
Junyan has a PhD in Computational Biology and Drug Design from Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Sciences. His previous research focused on understanding mechanisms of drug response using integrated multi-omics technology and large scale ex-vivo drug testing approaches. In November 2015, he joined the Huber Group as a postdoctoral fellow and has worked on several projects since then. He is now working mainly on the MOFA project (Entwicklung computergestützter Methoden zur simultanen integrativen Analyse von Daten aus experimentellen “Multi-Omics” Ansätzen).
Stefanie has a degree in Biochemistry from the Technical University of Munich and is currently enrolled in the Molecular Biotechnology Master’s program at the University of Heidelberg. She writes her Master thesis in the Huber group, working on the analysis of longitudinal microbiome data in a multi-omics framework.
Mike joined EMBL as part of the de.NBI project where he is working on the development pipelines, workflows and computational approaches for large scale biological experiments. He has a PhD in computational biology from the University of Cambridge, UK.
- Frederik Ziebell (Postdoc 2017-2020): now Computational Biologist at Cellzome GmbH, a GSK company
- Emma Dann (Master student 2018-2019): now PhD student at University of Cambridge
- Britta Velten (PhD student 2015-2019): now PostDoc at German Cancer Research Center
- Jennifer Huellein (Data Manager 2017-2019): now Data Manager at German Cancer Research Center
- Bernd Klaus (Leader of the Center for Statistical Data Analysis 2013-2019): now Team Leader at Häfele GmbH and Co. KG
- Almut Lütge (Master student 2017): now PhD student at University of Zurich
- Dorothee Childs (Postdoc 2014-2018): now Bioinformatician at HMS Analytical Software
- Arne Smits (Postdoc 2016-2018): now R&D IT Project Manager at Bayer Business Services
- Andrzej Oleś (Staff Member 2013-2018): now staff member at Heidelberg Institute for Geoinformation Technology (HeiGIT)
- Sascha Dietrich (Visiting Researcher 2014-2017): now Group Leader and Senior Physician at Heidelberg University Hospital and National Center for Tumor Diseases Heidelberg
- Małgorzata Oleś (PhD student 2012-2016): now staff member at National Center for Tumor Diseases Heidelberg
- Karsten Bach (Master student 2016): now PhD student at European Bioinformatics Institute
- Nils Kurzawa (Research assistant 2016): now PhD student at at EMBL Heidelberg
- Nikolaos Ignatiadis (Master student 2016): now PhD student at Stanford University, USA
- Annika Lisa Gable (Master student 2016): now PhD student at University of Zurich
- Alejandro Reyes (PhD student 2012-2016): now postdoc at Harvard University, USA
- Jacqueline Severino (Master student 2014-2016): now PhD student at Center for Genomic Regulation, Barcelona
- Aleksandra Pekowska (postdoc 2010-2016): now group leader at Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology, Poland
- Julian Gehring (PhD student 2011-2016): now senior scientist at Illumina Inc. Cambridge
- Simon Anders (postdoc and research scientist 2009-2015): now group leader at ZMBH Heidelberg
- Olena Yavorska (visitor 2015): now DPhil Student in Clinical Medicine at University of Oxford
- Diego Benusiglio (visitor 2015): now PhD student at German Cancer Research Center
- Joseph Barry (postdoc 2010-2015): now Senior Scientist at Alnylam Pharmaceuticals
- Felix Klein (PhD student 2010-2014): now Consultant Business Analytics at Alexander Thamm GmbH
- Bernd Fischer (postdoc 2008-2014): PI at DKFZ (2014-2017)
- Paul Pyl (PhD student 2010-2014): now postdoc at Lund University
- Michael I. Love (visitor 2012-2013): now Assistant Professor of Biostatistics and Genetics at UNC School of Medicine
- Gregoire Pau (postdoc 2006-2011): researcher at Genentech, now training as physician-scientist
- Tony Chiang (PhD student 2006-2010): now postdoc at Univ. Washington
- Elin Axelsson (PhD student 2006-2010): now at Gregor Mendel Institute of Molecular Plant Biology Vienna
- Joern Toedling (PhD student 2005-2009): now at Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin
- Richard Bourgon (postdoc 2006-2009): now director and senior scientist at Genentech
- Audrey Kauffmann (postdoc 2006-2009): now group leader at Novartis
- Oleg Sklyar (staff 2005-2008): now Engineering Manager at Google
- Tineke Casneuf (visitor 2006): now at Johnson and Johnson
- Florian Hahne (visitor 2007): now at Novartis
- Ligia P. Bras (visitor 2006): now at Hovione FarmaCiencia